Shopify is part of a group of turn-key ecommerce (aka “hosted ecommerce”) solutions that provides everything you need from end to end (minus the product and business know-how) to setup and start selling your product(s) to the world in contrast to you putting all the pieces together yourself. If you are starting a new online business, or just bringing an existing business to the online world, Shopify is definitely one of the easiest ecommerce builders to help you create your online shop.
Shopify is currently powering over 377,500 online shops and has helped businesses process over $29 billion worth of sales. It doesn’t matter if you are just starting a new online shop, or bringing an offline store online to grow your business, the last thing you want to do is troubleshoot technology. Shopify can help you save time so you can focus on other important aspects of your business.
SHOPIFY IS EASY TO USE
SHOPIFY GIVES YOU THE TOOLS TO BUILD YOUR ONLINE STORE
It’s not magic, so you will have to commit a few hours to learn the basics, but once you do that, it’s pretty smooth sailing from there (don’t forget you also get 24/7 online or phone support from them). Here is a quick video demonstration from Shopify that will show you how easy it is to create your own ecommerce website. You really don’t need to need to know anything about codes to set up your online store!
Perks of using Shopify:
- Shopify is the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with over 100,000 active global retailers
- You can sell online, offline and on-the-go using Shopify’s powerful technology
- Use your own domain name
- Sell gift cards and generate coupon codes
- Use its integrated blogging platform to create blog posts
- Process credit card payments directly through Shopify, or other gateways
- Process in-store purchases with Shopify POS
- Process purchases with your smartphone using Shopify Mobile
- Receive 24/7 onboarding and technical support from Shopify Gurus
- Access ecommerce analytics
- Use built-in SEO
- Rely on fast servers, industry-leading response times, and cutting edge infrastructure
- Keep your customer’s data secure with PCI Level 1 Compliant checkout
- Sell unlimited SKUs
- Shopify is always adding free new features to help you sell
CONCLUSION / RECOMMENDATION
Overall, Shopify is a very strong e-commerce online shop builder. Specifically, we are impressed with 2 unique things:
- Premium store front themes – your online shop will look professional, which is a key ingredient in attracting more visitors and keeping them on your website to increase sales
- Shopify Apps – to add more / extend functionality to your online shop as you grow your business
Shopify understands that their core strength is to allow you to build and manage a website with a secure shopping cart, and they understand that they can’t build all the different business tools in the world for you.
So what do they do? They invite professional designers and services providers to integrate their designs and apps / tools with Shopify. You have access to designer-caliber store front themes, and a broad range of fully integrated apps to help you manage and automate a lot of your business (this means less work for you).
This flexibility and the ability for Shopify to grow with your online business is one of the unique aspects that we’ve grown to appreciate, and I hope you do as well. You can start off with fewer features and tools, and add more and bolt them on to your online shop as you grow.
[Update Sept 2013 – As mentioned above, Shopify’s Point of Sale (POS) system will also help you grow your offline retail store (if you have one), or help you process sales away from your computer (such as a pop-up store). Start using your iPad as your mobile store catalog and payment terminal, while synchronizing all your data with your online store – a “true” business commerce setup!]
Keep in mind that to have success with your online shop, you need a very strong, capable and flexible online platform / infrastructure to support you. Shopify is one of those platforms that you should consider investing in, especially with their 24/7 phone and live chat support. It makes a lot more sense to let them deal with the technology aspect of things, so you can focus on other aspects of your business.
Shopify offers you a risk-free 14 days trial to see for yourself if they fit your needs. So there is no financial risk to you to try them out.